Wednesday, January 28, 2009


Teachable Moments!

In a class I'm taking one of the points for teachers was to not get so engrossed in having to strictly adhere to your syllabus / schedule / time restraints where you miss those "teachable moments" that come along. Many times we have tons of other things we need to do, but seize the moment when it presents itself. It may not present itself again!!!

Well, this is our bobsled run or luge run if you know anything about that. We had snow, then ice then snow at our house and it made our street one great sled run. As you can see, the tire tracks are solid ice. The work in the house and all of the studies had to take a backseat for a while. So with a lookout down at the bottom of the run, we took some time and had some fun. I wish I had the time to do that, some would say, well.... I couldn't afford to miss the opportunity. We find the time to do what is important to us.

3 comments:

The Going Blog said...

I like the philosophy of not being able to afford missing an opportunity to be with your family. Everybody makes time for what they care about some would just rather not admit it. Looks like a fun time.

Rob and Deanna said...

Awesome, the street was a "killer" sledding hill, I'm sure! We don't do "hills" out here, so we have to improvise & pull sleds behind 4-wheelers or trucks (not mentioning any names, TYLER:-). Such a FUN day though, wish you all had lived closer we would have gotten together for it. I thought about you all but was sure you wouldn't be "willing" to drive out. ;-)

The Dickinsons said...

I agree. I'm glad you took the time to sled.

Also I'm glad that the class covered taking advantage of teachable moments in teaching rather than always feeling obligated to cover everything. It sounds like a good class. My favorite teachers from whom I learned the most from in college were those flexible teachers who took the liberty of those teachable moments. I am trying to do the same with my family and with the Colombians studying in our Bible classes.

Blessings,
Phillip

Phillip