Monday, March 15, 2010

After tearing a ligament in my ankle one particular Friday evening (yes of course it was on the basketball court), one of his sons asked me if I wanted to stay at their house for a few days. I didn't want to impose, but the thought of hobbling up and down stairs in the 'cold' dorm, quickly changed my mind. So, I spent the next 5 or 6 days in the home of Dr. Robert Whitaker. He was the President of the College, so I was a little intimidated. However, his tender smile and gentle spirit eased any anxiety within me. I had seen him as a 'position', but now I saw him as a man, and I was not disappointed. He was real!

In one particular chapel message, he illustrated that he didn't think anyone could play the piano. It's impossible to play an instrument that has so many keys. It can't be done. However, he went on to say, we all had previously heard that it could be played, and the piano was played quite well. Beautiful music came from that impossible instrument. People say holiness isn't possible. It can't be lived. You can't do it. But with God's help, the life of holiness can be lived and has been been lived by many saints.

The message in that illustration has never left me. Thank you Dr. Whitaker for being real. You made an impression on my life that went beyond head knowledge. Knowing Christ and making him known!

2 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Daryl, that was a precious post about Dr. Whitaker. I was SAD to hear of his home-going! May we all live ready for ours!

Making Memories 1999 said...

It was so good to see you all at Dr. Whitaker's funeral! Blessings on you all!!