Sunday, March 16, 2008


What a weekend to Remember! We had about a foot of snow or more (last weekend) and we were snowed in, but we didn't mind for we were at a weekend seminar! I don't want to be guilty of just saying my wife is important, but I want to be guilty of proving it to her! She wanted to go to one of these for a long time, but our circumstances haven't allowed us too. So when we found out that there was a Family Life - Weekend to Remember seminar here, locally, we chose to invest in our marriage and family. Sometimes we are so "bottom line" oriented that we only look at the dollars and cents and make decisions on this fact alone. Investing in our family and marriage can't be weighed by dollars and cents. It's an investment!

With that being said I state some of my core beliefs in these areas:

  1. My relationship with God is first and comes before everything else. I am to love God with all of my heart, soul, mind, and strength!
  2. My relationship with my wife comes second! When we got married, we became a family! Adam & Eve were the first family! Children increase the size of the family. They should not be the focus but an addition to the family! Our focus should be on our mate.
  3. The children come next and are my third priority. "The best thing you can do for your children is to be a good husband to their mother." If I have a good relationship with my wife, loving and caring for her, it will bring security to the children.
  4. Ministry/ Missions/ job/etc. comes 4th. This is not a selfish kind of thing where family comes above all else but a Biblical thing where I invest the most in the lives of those who God has placed under my responsibility. Why would I forsake those that I have the most influence over in order to spend more of my energies on those that I only influence for a short while. In reality, our family has expanded our ministry, not limited it!
The spiritual well-being of my wife and children is more important than any ministry or job that God calls me too! Now that I've said it and believe it, may God help me to LIVE it!

9 comments:

Phillip D said...

Excellent; I agree. Sounds like a great seminar. I'm glad that you all could go. And I'm sure that all the snow made it even more romantic. We love you all and are really looking forward to seeing you all.

Vonnie said...

We have one of these seminars coming to Alaska... maybe even here in Fairbanks. I would love to go but I doubt Andrew will be able to take off work. Sounds really neat though!

Michelle said...

I used to work for a Christian radio station in Cincinnati for about 6 years and we used to support the Family Life Weekend seminars when they were in Cincinnati. We would advertise, MC parts of it, have a booth there, and just have a presence. I have met some of the people that used to work with Family Life. Tim Kimmel (I have probably spelled it wrong) used to work with Family Life. Unfortunately we have never gone. I was able to receive some of there resources though. It did always come down to dollars and cents for us but, you know what you are right it is more important than dollars and cents. We have started to realize that. Thanks for your post it sounds like it was a great seminar. Michelle J

Mary Ellen said...

Very well said. I think so many ladies get #2 and #3 switched around after they start having children and they make a big mistake. Good for you and Laura for taking the time out to remember who comes first!

Leah said...

I am so glad that you were able to go and enjoy that seminar! Our kids are ALWAYS better off when we put our spouses first!!!

LaDonna said...

Joe and I have been to this in Knoxville, and it was certainly well worth the money it cost. You are so right that we need to invest in our marriages. So glad you all got to go!

Mrs. Timothy W. Pierce Sr. said...

I love hearing about when people decide to attend a Weekend to Remember! Tim and I have been twice since we got married. It is so worth it! We plan to attend another one this year. This year we became local group coordinators.
To anyone who is considering going-stop considering, and just do it. It really is an investment!

Beth said...

Happy 15th Birthday to Natasha yesterday!

Allana Martian said...

I really liked your last statement. Too many times I have seen dads and/or moms put ministry ahead of their spouses and children. You and Laura have a beautiful family and are a Godly example to us all!