Sunday, July 25, 2010

I finally was allowed the privilege to post something on this blog that I bequeathed to my family. I recently wrote the following for a class that I just took. It's not perfect, and like all writing, needs some revision, but .... here it is. It is was it is! ~ Daryl

"I am from"
I am from the pre-historic dark ages with no i-pods, i-pads, i-phones, or 'I'-gadgets.

I am from rotary telephones but no internet, gas stoves but no microwaves.

I am from Tinker Toys, Tyco racetracks, Big Wheels, and Geronimo Indian toys.

I am from an ill-advised time of living within your means, paying your bills, and not anticipating a bail out.

I am from twisted parents who said, "This hurts me more than it does you," disciplining me in love never anger.

I am from parents who brain-washed me into thinking honesty, integrity, self-control, kindness, and respecting others are important character traits to live by.

I am from a mother who was quiet, yet strong, until she began talking with siblings; then she was like New York City at rush hour.

I am from a mis-guided father who instructed me that Pepsi was the one and only soda and drinking Coke was a sin.

I am from parents who believed missing church was breaking the 11th commandment, like bees to honey, so to were we with church.

I am from a family whose motto is: loving, caring, helping, praying, and worshiping.

Daryl
7/10

3 comments:

Dori Overman said...

Switch Dr. Pepper with Pepsi and I could have written that...only I'm not that good of a writer! Well done!

The Dickinsons said...

Very good, Daryl! We enjoyed reading this.

Very good post below about us "Having this Moment!" Cute family pic!

Can't remember if I commented or not, but we loved Bryan's fun yummy birthday cake! =D

mmsbryan said...

A heart felt thank you to Mom Hausman for prodding some new post on this families' blog and to you Daryl for honoring that prod. Your writing for your family was good and quite interesting. Sorry I just now caught on that there was some new activity being posted. I will follow more closely. Trust your birthday was special. Love you Son, Moma