Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Pumpkin Scones

Fall calls for all the pumpkin recipes you find or learn about, at least I think so! Here's one that our Pastor's Wife made for treats recently and I begged for the recipe.  Posting this just for my dear sister, Heather!
Delicious and so moist! Other scones that I've tasted are dry, these are yummy even when served cold!
Pumpkin Scones

2 1/4 cups plain flour
1/4 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup cold butter, cubed
1 egg
1/2 cup canned pumpkin
1/3 cup milk
2 tablespoons pecans, optional (I didn't have any, so it wasn't an option! =)

In large bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, baking powder, pie spice salt and baking soda.  Cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs.  In a small bowl, whisk egg, pumkin and milk add to crumb mixture just til moistened.  Turn to lightly floured surface and knead 10 times.  Pat into 8" circle and cut into 8 wedges.  Separate wedges and place on greased baking sheet.
Bake at 400o for 12-15 min.  (The original recipe came with a  Cranberry butter recipe, but I didn't have those and thought I would like it better with this glaze instead.) Serve warm with homemade butter cream glaze!  Enjoy!

Here is the glaze for those of you that wanted me to add it... (Easier said than done, for I just do it till it looks right! =)  But here's how I start at least...

Glaze:
1 Tablespoon butter or margarine, melted
1 Tablespoon milk
 1 cup to approx 2 cups of powdered sugar
Stir this all well, till it resembles a soft icing.. I usually make mine pretty thick, for when you add them to warm Scones they spread well and cover it better rather than a thinner glaze!  Enjoy!!!  I've had to make them twice since blogging this for my son saw the blog post and begged requested for them again!  His sweet delighted squeal was well worth the extra effort! 

7 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Thank you, Sweet Laura, for this recipe. Loved all the pics of your pumpkin scones. They look delicious!! It looks like I NEED one of those ADORABLE pumpkin plates like you have. Hee! Hee! ;) Can't wait to try this recipe!

I don't plan on posting the recipe on my blog, but linking everyone to YOUR blog for the recipe, this coming Friday, Lord willing.
Gotta run and get more things marked off my to-do list for today.
Hugs!!
~Heather~

Rob and Deanna said...

You need to add the glaze recipe for some of us, Laura. ;-) Looks so YUMMY, I hope to try this soon.

The Dickinsons said...

I'm heading to the kitchen to make these right now. Yummy!!! I'll let you know the results when I try making these with squash since I can't get pumpkin. I think Jesus will help them and we'll love them. =)
Thanks for your phone call last night. I loved it! =)
~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

Yea! It worked! I made these for our brunch this morning using squash and they turned out perfectly! Praise the Lord! =) They were yummy and we really enjoyed them!

Thanks again for the recipe!
Love you bunches,
~Heather~

mmsbryan said...

Just put a comment on Heather's blog that I had thawed my pumpkin out to make these, hopefully tomorrow. Been too busy with Mom Bryan's needs these past three days perhaps after a good night of rest all will be better. Hope to make some Pilgrim pies and have cooked some dried apples adn mdad the fllling for my version of backed 'fried pies' A fall youth activity tomorrow evening around a big fire should be fun and a big tray of my girl;s recipes that they learned from their Daddy will take the cake." Your display looked so nice and fallish. Grandmother had guests in for dinner and I had Carol Clapper send me a picture of her table before anyone messed it up. She did a good job and seemed to enjoy all that came. I am glad that she will try to reach our and entertain at age 89. That's who you Girls got your zip from GG

Beth said...

Happy Birthday to Brittany last Monday!! We did think of you and hoped you had a good birthday.

The Dickinsons said...

Laura, Sis. Roberta M. sent me an email saying that she and 2 other gals went and had tea with another lady who had just had a pace maker put in. Sis. M. made your pumpkin scones for that occasion. =)

Love you,
~Heather~