Monday, February 13, 2012

Tea Rooms, Grandma Bryan, Birthdays & Skyline!

The Ruby Pear

 This week brought a 1st ever for me, leave my kids and go away just me for a day!!! H.U.G.E. to me... and probably won't happen again for a long time, but I did enjoy myself, in spite of myself! =)  A friend called and wondered if I could get away for a day trip and go see my parents and my Grandma Bryan. As she has been very low and the load has been heavy on my dear Momma's shoulders, I decided to try it, for her sake and a tiny bit for me too!  Turned out it was the only day that I could've done such a thing... so with fear and CLEAR instructions to all our kids, I took off.  We left here 10ish and arrived as a surprise to My Momma (she did have a guess who it was, we found out later!) We left around 12:30 for a Tea Room near her home.  I hadn't been to a tea room in over 13 years, to my knowledge.  It was very enjoyable.  I ordered what they called "The Southern Breeze" which included my choice of tea (I chose Cinnamon Spice) a bowl of Creamy Chicken Vegetable, Pecan Chicken Salad, 3 whole wheat crackers, my choice of Scone (my choice was White Chocolate Cashew) served with lemon curd and fruit spread, a vanilla cookie and a chocolate covered strawberry.  It was a delightful time and so lifted my Momma's spirit and that was my whole goal in going along!

 Here is a picture of one A.M.A.Z.I.N.G. woman, my dear 104 1/2 year old Grandma Bryan! I love this pic of her... she was looking up and saw Linda, our dear family friend how had invited me to go along, so we caught her sweet expression at getting to see her!

                                               Linda M. and Grandma, friends for years!
 Grandma looking at a bird book!  She L.O.V.E.S. birds all expect Starlings! =)
 We had gone to Tea Room to spare Momma so she wouldn't have to cook... but you can't take the entertaining/cook out of some Southern Women... wonder where we get it from, Heather?!  We were trained by the best, that you may NOT have guests unless you FEED THEM!!!!=)
 This is the only pic that I got of my Daddy... Happy Belated Birthday, Daddy!  I was excited to get to take Daddy a wee gift early for his birthday (He and my dear husband share a birthday and this one was amazing as you may have read in an earlier post by Daryl!)
Daddy, I sure love you and I thank you for all that you did to mold and train my life for God!  You have had an amazing influence on who I am today and I thank God for how blessed I am.  I didn't realize how blessed I was to have been placed by God into your home.  The older I get I'm finding out that you and Momma are the exception to the rule!  I love you both SO much and thank God for the heritage that you have passed on to us! Thank you Daddy for allowing God to have 1st place in your life, for loving Momma in front of us kids, thank you for providing for our needs while we were home and still now with the many trips and piles of goodies that you always pack to Cincy each time you visit! I thank you for your protection over us too!
I love you so much and words fail, since I didn't get the whole poet thing in my genes, but I love you dearly and want you to know I know I am blessed! (along with my siblings!) Happy Birthday!

And did ya'll notice who came down the stairs at 104 1/2 to join us for a snack?! 
Happy Birthday to the Sweetest Man in my life!

 The kids won a prize last fall for a fundraiser contest and we chose Skyline Gift Card as our treat!  This made for one SPECIAL Birthday celebration for our MAIN, MAN and HERO in our lives!  We all LOVE YOU SWEETS!
 My main man, now for over 21 years!  God is SO GOOD to give us to each other! I LOVE YOU SWEETS!

 And since Daryl's Birthday is SOOOOO close to Valentine's Day we combined his birthday meal with the Valentine Theme!  I made a RED VELVET CAKE (thanks to a cake mix that I found for cheap... see old post for the distaster I created some years back!) The Valentine M&M's were a gift from a friend and sure made decorating our table Easy!




 The Valentine card on the table is one that Daryl made for me at WSU this week!  The kids were all excited to see how "creative" daddy is! =)
 Here we are at the table.  Daryl's birthday menu was: Company Chicken, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Steamed Asparagus, Candied Sweet Potatoes, Homemade rolls and Red Velvet Cake.

 Here is our little photographer since she is missing in the pics! 
 A Valentine Treat White Chocolate Pretzel Nuggets with Cinnamon Sprinkles that I made for Daryl's WSU students today.  The antique bowl there is a gift from my Grandmother Scarbrough... it is one that they started housekeeping with, I believe!

4 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Laura, I was so busy getting our "love story part 3" up that I just now got to see that you got this FUN post up for me to see! YEA!!! I loved it! THANK YOU!

SO GLAD you got to go see Moma and Daddy and Grandma. Your time at the Tea room looks SO SPECIAL! Grandma looks so nice after all she's been through.

Loved the pics of y'all and your man on his birthday. Love your jean blouse?top?jacket. Adorable!

We've noticed that Darla and Sarah have at least 2 matching blouses...the all colorful one with pink and yellows and the red and white one Darla is wearing in this post. (Sarah plans on wearing that tomorrow. =)

Your Valentine's cake and table and treats all look so NICE!

Love y'all,
~Heather~

The Dickinsons said...

Fun tea room pictures. That was so nice that you ladies could get together, and it's a blessing from God to have daughters and a son that you can trust at home.
Grandma Bryan is so beautiful! What a heritage we have through the grace of God working in her.
That was so nice of Linda M. to invite you to go and see Grandma with her.
The picture of you all around the table in Indiana made me miss Dad and Mom Bryan so much. Amen to what you said about them. We love them so much and are so thankful to have them as our parents.
The Skyline family outing looks so fun. Happy Birthday again, Daryl; you are very special to us.
The cake looks good and the Valentine's table looks beautiful; I'd have enjoyed helping clean up the centerpiece off of the table..."Just leave the centerpiece, I'll take care of it for you." {Helpful me}
The food looks good. The picture of your family made me miss you all a lot. Your family is very dear to us. Missed Darla in the picture. But, Darla, you took a great picture of your family. You might be taking after A. Heather in this. It was fun remembering G.G. too; what a dear!
Thanks for this delightful post of some of our favorite people.
Love you all much,
Phillip

Rob and Deanna said...

Your table looked so PRetty!! Cake is really cute and M&M's look so festive. So FUN for you to go away for a day without kids hangin' on your shirttails. Love our kids, but to feel like you still are your OWN person once in a while is really nice! ;-) I like that jacket too, have noticed it at church, it looks so nice on you.

The Dickinsons said...

Happy birthday U. DAryl! Looks like you had fun in IN. Your cake and table are cute. love, kimberly