Wednesday, March 28, 2012

“Hitherto has the Lord Helped”

One year ago today...this is where I was!

    March 28, 2011, dawned a day that will forever be etched in my memory. I was facing the “unknown”: spinal fusion surgery. 


~ Back before surgery~
~Back before surgery~

   I remember questions racing through my mind as I walked the hospital hall, memorizing the sights and sounds. Questions such as, “What if I come out of surgery blind? Or deaf? What if I don’t make it out of surgery at all?”  I knew the risks of surgery; death was one of them, and my mind seemed to always ask the “what if’s”. I didn’t want to die yet. I wanted to graduate, to get my license, to get married and to have a family someday. It had been my prayer, though, that I would glorify God in all of this; touch the most people for Him. And I was resigned to the fact that if it was His will to take me, I was ready to go. One may criticize these thoughts, calling them morbid, or unfit to think, yet these thoughts were foremost in my mind that morning. I feared the unknown, something I didn’t know for sure about, something I hadn’t experienced as of yet. Isaiah 41:10 says, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness.” And I clung to that promise in the moments to follow.
   Preparations for surgery continued and soon I was being wheeled down the hall, Mommy and Daddy at my side, towards the surgery room. A final prayer, one last hug and kiss goodbye, and they were gone. The door closed behind them, the lonely click resounding in my head. Bright Lights and Equipment, along with nurses and technicians filled the room. I became increasingly nervous, but at every panicked thought, a whispering voice filled my head, “Fear thou not; for I am with thee…” “Fear thou not; for I am with thee….” A laughing gas mask was soon placed over my mouth before the IV was inserted. One nurse signaled a fellow nurse saying, “Go ahead.” My semi-conscious brain thought she meant start the surgery and I panicked, yelling, “No!!! NO!!!” I can’t remember the nurse’s name, but she must have been an angel, soothing my fears as only a mother knows how. I fell “asleep” in peace, not knowing whether I would wake in the recovery room, or in the arms of Jesus. However, it was His will that I live, and I awoke hours later in the recovery room.
   Those days that followed were filled with pain. An allergic reaction to one of the medications left me fearing the nights and the hallucinations that accompanied them. Yet through it all, God was there! It may have been in the form of a nurse, or parent, but I knew God was with me. I could call on Him even in my drugged state.

Days in the hospital~ Please excuse these pictures, since I am obviously NOT looking my best! =)
 
   Some things tend to be bittersweet and this is one of them: the drugs left me saying some “violent” things. On one occasion I threatened to kick the nurse and physical therapist into the next room if they caused me any more pain! =)

The poor physical therapist, Dan, whom I threatened on many occasions!

One of the many kind nurses that I had.
   The hospital days were filled with my “violent sayings”, activity and adjustments. Being rolled out in a wheelchair, on the day released from the hospital, I couldn’t focus or even think about the next day, the next month, or even the next year. It was all I could do to focus on getting through the next minute!

Going home!
    Once at home, those adjustments soon became routine. After a solid month of pain, I was physically mending, but emotionally unraveled. The healing of emotions takes time, I soon learned. At every check-up six weeks, three months, and six months…time has passed and with each marker another flag has been raised saying, “Hitherto has the Lord helped!” 


First outing...Sam's Club!!! Thankfully, these chairs came in NICE and handy!
Second outing: Easter Sunday morning~
 
   Now one year out from surgery, by the help and grace of God, I have physically and emotionally mended. From the very moment we first learned about the spinal surgery and all along the pathway, God has been there at every turn and difficulty. This journey has strengthened my faith, made me draw closer to Him and trust Him in a fuller and deeper way. He has brought me through SO much; provided me with SO many blessings that I am awestruck to even think about. I know I can trust Him in the future because thus far has He brought me and “Hitherto has the LORD helped!!!!!”

Back after spinal surgery!


 Praising HIM, 
Natasha Mae Hausman

11 comments:

The Dickinsons said...

Dearest Sweet Natasha,
I just saw in my devotional book where I had written down your surgery date...that it was now your one-year anniversary since your SCARY and SERIOUS back surgery! So, I really enjoyed reading through this sweet post. Well, to be honest...The first part of your post I didn't really "enjoy" reading (for my heart ACHED with you) about the fear, the unknown, the scary surgery, the click of the door, saying Goodbye to your parents, etc. But, I loved your attitude that you wanted Jesus to Glorify Himself through you!
I can't believe that it has been a Whole YEAR since those horribly scary heart-breaking days of your pain and recovery! But, I too STAND AMAZED (well, I'm sitting right now =) at ALLLLLLLLLLL God has done for YOU during this year! How we PRAISE HIM for His strength, healing, and help to you, His dear child! You are so right...Your Future is as much in HIS HANDS as was your surgery! We are praying for you and know God will guide you as you continue to seek Him!
Thank you for serving Jesus and being a sweet example of Classy and Holy Womanhood.
I LOVE your new pictures...they are really CUTE! =)
I'm sending you a hug from me...and I'll have Gram look at this post later too. (We have to leave soon for a birthday party, but as soon as she can, I'll have her see it and sign.)
Lots of LOVE to you and your family! =)
~A. Heather~

Daryl Hausman said...

Dearest Natasha,
I see I didn't make it to be the 1st to comment... but that's okay. My, how our hearts have praised Jesus to watch you and walk with you through these tough days this last year. It has been so encouraging to our hearts to see how you've grown. To watch you stretch your wings and learn to trust God for yourself. To watch you allow God to mold you into His image. Our hearts are thrilled that you have chosen Jesus as Lord and Savior of your heart, mind, body and soul! We couldn't be more pleased and still stay on the ground!=) I Love you, sweetheart with all of my heart! Trusting Jesus with you for all of your life is in His hands! As the song that carried this Momma's heart through those days says, "I'm NOT gonna worry, I'm not gonna Fret, I'm not gonna speculate or contemplate what hasn't happened yet... He's got the whole thing in His hands!" Love you sooooo much, Mommy

Rob and Deanna said...

Awesome!!!! Love the updated pics, 'Tasha!!! So beautiful, the skirt is so FUN. Kiana would LOVE it :-)

Anonymous said...

Natasha, my eyes are filled with tears as I read your blog. We are praising Jesus with you! I guess when Jesus allowed this problem with your back, he said, "I'll prove how wonderful I am to her one day." It was good to hear you play your violin and piano at Grandma Bryan's funeral. You did such a great job. And, God has made you to be a very precious example of a young lady serving Him. Holiness lived out is beautiful!

Beth said...

Dear Natasha,
Thank you so much for sharing in this post! I am so thankful that you are now on the other side of all this! Some things don't look much better after the fact, then they did at the time; but we know that God has wisdom and purpose for the things He helps us through in life. I am so thankful for all His help to you! Praise God!
Beth Albertson in CO

The Dickinsons said...

Today we have remembered with you as we were there with you one year ago. It was a hard time for our hearts as we waited in that hospital with you. God had a reason you were made with this need and it was Him who gave that Dr the talent to help you mend. When you returned from Romania this Gramp and Gram felt that something very serious was wrong and wondered if it was too late to be repaired. We knew that Daddy and Mommy had given of themselves to take the Gospel to Europe and that with Him nothing is impossible and His timing is never late. Without him knowing, God led your Daddy to settle just five minutes from the place of your healing. We commend you for trusting and working hard this year to overcome all the hurdles of healing. He has made a lovely young lady of you to house the sweet girl you are. Our hearts rejoice for the spirit and trust you showed in writing this testimony and praise. We are faithful praying that God continue to guide and you to follow His plan all the days of your life and that as you "seek first the kingdom" He will give you the desires of you heart. You hold 1/17 of our hearts and your place is filled with love, Gramp and Gram

PS We could not have known one year ago today that this response would be coming to you from Uncle Phillip and Aunt Heather's computer in Bogota, Colombia.

Rob and Deanna said...

"Awww, I liked her old back. She looked like a camel. I'm glad she has her real back now, though." Dusti

Daryl Hausman said...

Thanks, Dusti, for your comment!! I LOVED it!!!! =) I'm glad I have a 'real' back now to though! Love you buddy!
nh~

The Dickinsons said...

"The path of the just is as the shining light, that shineth more and more unto the perfect day." (Prov. 4:18)
Natasha, it pleases me to see you finding out by personal experience that the longer we know Christ as our Lord and Saviour, the more beautiful life in Him becomes.
Also as you know, your thoughts before surgery were not morbid, but normal to all mature thinking Christians. Thankfully we who belong to Christ can rest in His good will.
And no matter what His good and perfect will leads us through, we will always find that He as well as the Eternal Life which He offers us, become more and more precious.
It will be wonderful to discover many more good and perfect gifts from our trustworthy Father of lights. He will never change. Keep looking to Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith. Nothing else in life is nearly as important as looking to and waiting with faith on Him.
We love and miss you and your dear family, U. Phillip and family

The Dickinsons said...

THANK THE LORD all for his help!!! And thank you for this post. I like your pics w/ the white and blue sweater...they are pretty. love you, kimberly

LaRae said...

Thank you so much for sharing, Natasha! Your courage and faith are such an inspiration, my friend! Love you!
~ LaRae ~